Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2012

Rolling Lyme Derby

I am a person who gets energy from being with others.  I love to engage those I am around.  I love to connect with them.  I become relaxed and happy interacting.  But when it comes time to go home, I usually realize I used a bit too much energy for this fun.   How do I, a people person, be with people and not become drained?  How do I, a woman still very sick, be part of a community?

Last night I helped run the NSO's at our monthly bout.  If you don't know those terms you haven't yet been introduced to the amazing world of Roller Derby.  The first Roller Derby bout I ever went to was in LA at the Doll House watching the LA Derby Dolls.  They own/rent a huge warehouse.  As you walk in, you can instantly tell these women are some organized, creative, strong lady's!  The place is packed with confident volunteers telling the long line of spec taters where to get their tickets, and what to do next.  The walls have DIY paint & posters.  To the right through the bleachers, I could see glimpses of the black and hot pink banked track.  To the left I see another huge room with vendors and a small stage in the very back for the band at their half time show.  I loved the energy within the room and as the bout began I fell in love with this sport.  However, I am not one to be able to process details quickly so I really didn't know what the girls were doing on the track but I love their outfits, their clever edgy names, and seeing them be feisty knockin each other down.  Periodically, the screens would show a lil diagram explaining the game and the comedian announcers made it fun to learn about the rules.  I was hooked.  It is for sure a great night out.

When we moved out of state we looked into a local team and found a brand spankin new flat track roller derby team right here in our home town. It didn't have that same production value as the Doll House, but how exciting to help be part of something from the near start and help them grow.  Right away my husband began to skate with them as a referee and I became a NSO (non skating official) at their once a month bouts.

Last night there was a bout where I was Head NSO.  I love it.  That same energy I felt at the Doll House was in the air.  I love getting there early when the place looks like a regular skating rink and getting to see volunteers doing all the tasks it takes to transform it into a bout.  I love seeing different girls from my team and giving em a nice cupping slap on the hinney and exchanging silly words.  I love setting up the NSO's in the their job for the night and making sure they understand the details of their job, I love learning more about each of the NSO positions, I love stopping and meeting a spectator, finding out who they came to support or how they found out about us and telling them Thank you so much for being here.  I love seeing big floppy falls on the track.  I love seeing the jammer break through the wall.   I love checking on all the NSO's throughout the game and helping fix any glitches.  I love making sure all the NSO's get a "Thank you gift" out of the basket and watching what they pick! I love any chit chat that happens through out the night.  I do not love the feeling when I get home when The Sick hits me again.

You know when you are not sure if you are getting a cold/flu and then all of a sudden it hits you?  It's like that.      Oh yeah, sh#*, I am sick.  The really sick, long term sick.Sick. Oh what a nuisance.  No annoying.  No infuriating.  No, it is confusing and frustrating.  As I realize I have done way too much physically for what I should be doing, I wonder how to be me while dealing with this 3-5 years of healing.  I am beyond grateful for the prognosis of health in as little as 5 years but on the flip side I don't know if I can stand waiting that long.  How do I be me in the mean time?  I love chocolate chip cookies, pizza, volunteering, making art/crafts, being impulsive, hiking, jogging, skiing, skating, staying up late, dancing, going out with my hubby and friends, hosting friends for dinner and games.

How do I be part of a community in a sedated way?  Do I ask for friends to sign up to be put on a list for me to call last minute for movie watching at my house?.  (Since some days I might end up needing to go back to bed depending how my sleep went the night before).  Do I invite friends over to bring dinner and hang out?  Do I ask friends to invite me over to their house to make a no sugar, no carbs organic meat or beans + veggie dish?   Do I ask friends to get together and get the materials for us to do art/craft and they clean up?  Do I ask friends to call me on the phone to chat?........"Hi friend!  Can you be a sedated friend for me?"

It is definitely not my first choice.  But it is a choice for community and friends.  

4 comments:

  1. I love your spirit! You are inspiring, you make me realize how much I take for granted, and make me see that there are alternative ways of seeing things. Thank you! FYI, I wouldn't mind making you a no csrb organic meal anytime! Just say when, and I'm on it! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for your comments! Yes, dinner would be awesome! Sometime in this coming week would be awesome! The only thing is, I am not sure who you are! If you have my # call me!

      Delete
  2. good entry, chrissy! liked reading it and it made me want to go to more derby. sorry i'm not closer to be sedated with you. hmm...reminds me of the ramones. i love those guys. good luck.
    xo heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather!! Hopefully you can come in March!!

      Delete