Search This Blog

Friday, December 23, 2011

There is so much I CAN do!

December can be a hard time for just about everyone.  It might be the weather, darker days, a busy schedule, not enough time off work, not being able to stick to ones diet, or tension with extended family that is getting together for the holidays.  This month I am not the only one who is struggling  (or any month for that matter!).

It depends on my perspective because really, I am able to do so much.  Thanks to a newer friend who I got to see 2 times this week, my spirits are lifted!  I also was able to be creative with my daughter and cut a couple sweaters into leg warmers.  With the help of my son we are going to finish a mosaic I started a couple years ago.  My daughter and I have a couple more DIY projects lined up to do over her Christmas break.  Things that don't require too much from me but are fun to help her do!

As this year ends I think back to the goals i set for 2011 and look to this coming year to reach some new goals.  One goal for last year was to read at least one book a month.  When I was younger I wasn't interested in reading.  Then for the last 4 years or so my eyes would get blurry so fast that it took me a very long time to get through books.  This challenge to myself ended up being very fun.

My favorites:
 -I read almost all of Anne Lammots books.  They portray women searching for a honest way to live.
 -Finally, after my kids and husband pushed, I read the hunger games series.  I hesitated because I didn't want to read something that stays in a hopeless place.  Once I read, I discovered the series is about never giving up.  Incredible riveting stories!
- I finished the year with The Help.  I loved the way every person was shown to have a good and a bad side.  We are all human.

My main goal for this coming year is I need to learn to just BE.  I want to meditate more.  I want to calm myself completely at some point, each day.  I want to accept myself more, which in turn will help me to not judge others and accept them just the way they are.  I want to learn to be ok within the "unsettled" of life.

Yesterday, I got myself busy doing this and that around the house.  I had just realized that I had spent too long being busy when I suddenly felt light headed and out of breath.  Nearly the second after I understood this  my husband said "you shouldn't be doing all that!".  My defensive Nelly rose up and argued, "But it was important!".  With a smile and a kind voice he said, " No it wasn't!".  We went back and forth a bit and then he said, "Remember your 2012 goal to just BE?  If you were trying to do that you would look at all this stuff and be ok with it instead of wanting to change it.".

  And THAT is just why I need to have it as a goal, because in order to heal, I need to think long term.  Busying myself with a short term goal (ie. a clean kitchen) will give a itty bitty reward.  I have a big goal (healing) and I need a big payout.  So I have to stay focused on that and BE ok with letting go some of the little stuff.   In 2012 that is something I can do, actively practicing CALM each day.

1 comment:

  1. You go, girl! I support your big payout completely and look forward to celebrating it!

    ReplyDelete